Pages

Sunday 25 September 2016

Now for something completely different.....Knitting!

Ravelry is dangerous!  You can be innocently reading a thread and see something that makes you go wow! Immediately you want to make it, it nags at you until you go rummaging in your stash bins.


This weekend I was reading a thread on Ravelry (The ColourfuL Cal/Kal Group) that I hadn’t noticed before.  It was for a Fair Isle Kal, the work was stunning.  So I went in search of patterns and found some that I liked but they all had you cutting the knitting, now that TERRIFIES me, steeking, it is called.  No way was I going to that, I am a terribly slow knitter and purl/knit is my limit, I just couldn’t cut into something that I had put a lot of time and effort, what if I botched it!  Telling myself “I don’t knit, what is the fuss!”  So I flagged the idea, but, last night dreamt of wonderful Fair Isle Jerseys, waistcoats and scarfs. 


 This morning bright and early, well it would have been if it hadn’t been Daylight Saving Weekend, lost an hour grrr…  I had an idea; I have several Kaffe Fassett books surely there would be something there that would suit a novice…. Eureka!  In the Glorious Colour book there was a pattern that was just the job – Persian Poppies Waistcoat see photo, here’s the Ravelry link via my project page, but the photo here is better than the Ravelry one.


As you can see my fingers were very twitchy and I got started, that nearly took all day, I am very slow.

There are some questions I would like to ask you more experienced Knitters, I find that it rolling up from the bottom is it because there is no ribbing, it starts with a purl row and the first 9 rows are folded back and makes a hem. 
Two, I am not sure if I am doing the carrying of the wool right?, and also  I am wondering if my tension is too tight?


Would the unevenness block out?


I am not worried if I have to start again if I am doing it wrong, I need to get more wool and I won’t know till tomorrow if the local wool shops still have these colours in stock, the wool is a merino  wool from Adriafil.  I hope so as I think they are ideal for the poppies and it is lovely and soft.  If I have to start again I might treat myself to those circular needles, are they difficult to use, I have only ever used the dpns, Oh, I haven’t knitted for over 20 years! And then it was plain knitted things for kiddies.

Oh, and during the last week or so I have done some crochet, mainly the Demelza Cal, run by the Colourful Cal/Kal group.


Last week’s clues.


This week, I need to do 8 of the above and doing the rest production line, up to the last row of petals which is doable as we start on the Thursday for the next part.

The other Cal Sweet Pea is going well, Here was last week’s clues,


I haven’t finished this week’s yet will post photo next week, and I do know I need to show a photo of the Lotus Moon tile Afghan, I did get it finished in time for the Birthday party, but had no time to photograph, will get a photo when I visit the family next week.

Just seen the time, no wonder I am hungry its 7 pm and I haven’t had lunch yet!  Do you find that Daylight Saving mucks up your internal clock?

Have a happy week every body and see you on my visits.


19 comments:

  1. Wow!! You are a knitter!!! Wish I had answers for your questions. I'm sure someone will. You are doing awesome!! Wish I was brave enough to try, but I'm not lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really talented !!! And have a lot of patience !!!
    Beautiful knitting and beautiful crocheting !!!!
    Have a lovely week !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could you not be a knitter? Love your projects. I cannot tell if your floats (the back side yarn carrying over) are too tight but I know you want a little give. Too tight will warp the work and you won't get the desired give in the fabric, especially for a wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wastecoate will look fabulous!! So colourful xx And your crochet is amazing too. Sorry I can't help with the rolling of your hem but I am very interested in what the solution will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sharon, how lovely to see your colourful knitting and crochet. Love the colours you are using on the poppies.
    Normally with fair-isle you can carry a colour over the back for about a maximum of five stitches, this is called a "float". It looks like you are weaving in with each stitch which could make the knitted fabric tight and inflexible. And yes blocking will even out irregularities. Stocking stitch hems will always roll but if you are folding up and creating a hem that should make it alright. I hope this helps.
    I love these crochet squares and hexes, the colours and the patterns are terrific.
    I'm with you on steeking, that is terrifying, no I wouldn't do that either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your work looks great, but I agree with Sheila, I wouldn't catch every stitch as it makes the work less flexible and is much more time consuming. As for the rolling hem, if it is meant to fold then great, if not, you may need to add ribbing, or do it in garter stitch. Blocking also helps everything!!
    As for steeking, I was scared of it too, but if you use a sticky yarn, it is fine. I am hoping to knit Epistrophy this year that is steeked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your work looks great, but I agree with Sheila, I wouldn't catch every stitch as it makes the work less flexible and is much more time consuming. As for the rolling hem, if it is meant to fold then great, if not, you may need to add ribbing, or do it in garter stitch. Blocking also helps everything!!
    As for steeking, I was scared of it too, but if you use a sticky yarn, it is fine. I am hoping to knit Epistrophy this year that is steeked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can not offer advice, as I do not do fair isle, but would love to someday. The colors you have chosen for it are fantastic though. Your crochet motifs are so pretty and will lend themselves to a fantastic blanket.

    I am sooooo glad where I live does not do daylight savings time. We are one of very few places that does not observe it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can not offer advice, as I do not do fair isle, but would love to someday. The colors you have chosen for it are fantastic though. Your crochet motifs are so pretty and will lend themselves to a fantastic blanket.

    I am sooooo glad where I live does not do daylight savings time. We are one of very few places that does not observe it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh, I'm in love with the Demelza Cal! You've chosen fantastic colors ♥. About Fair Isle I learned that one should use bigger needles than the yarn normally calles for. And for carrying the yarn over several stitches on the back, maybe the following video could help. It shows the technique how to fix the threads loosely on the back. Unfortunately it's filmed from a distance (and it's in German), but it helped me a lot when I learned knitting Fair Isle with both hands:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzaRW0M7tLM
    Happy knitting!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing...you just pick up the needles and go! Good for you! I've been mooning over Fair Isle for several years now but haven't even attempted. You give me courage and your work is gorgeous first time out! You are very talented and I wish I could help you but alas....I know nothing. I bet there are some You Tube videos though. I really love all your projects and the Sweet Pea CAL looks gorgeous and the Demelza....love your color choices. Good luck with the FI and I can't wait to see more next week. Yes, here in the states we have Daylight Savings time in the Spring...Fall is here so we will be "falling back" an hour and that's nice but the Spring "forward" an hour is a killer! I wish they would stop it altogether. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the fairisle pattern. So sweet. I agree with what everyone else has said. Let the floats be unless it is more than five stitches. Your tension looks fine, and don't worry about the rolling hem - that is what stocking stitch does. I love your crocheting too. Such colour! I can't wait to see your progress on the vest. Fairisle is such fun and the pattern and colours you have chosen are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the fairisle pattern. So sweet. I agree with what everyone else has said. Let the floats be unless it is more than five stitches. Your tension looks fine, and don't worry about the rolling hem - that is what stocking stitch does. I love your crocheting too. Such colour! I can't wait to see your progress on the vest. Fairisle is such fun and the pattern and colours you have chosen are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are certainly showing your love for colour in this post, lol. What a lot of 'gorgeousness' in your projects this week.
    Sorry I cannot help with any FI knitting advice (I am not a knitter), but I sure can appreciate the work that went into it and can't wait to see your progress on it next week, and I hope your local yarn shop still stocks the colours that you need.
    Your crochet squares and hexies are looking great.
    All in all, a lovely stitchery week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm completely amazed at all of your work, so beautiful. I hope you can find the color that you need. Can't wait to see your progress next week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your knitting is beautiful, Sharon As a new knitter I understand seeing your own imperfections, but wow - I look at your work and I just see beautiful stitches. And all that colorwork looks so complicated. Beautiful, but complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am impressed! I am just now trying some intarsia knitting and I finally got to where I'm comfortable and enjoying it. It is a much easier pattern though. You know, when I saw your swatch before reading I thought it was a very pretty scene with blue tree trunks. I think it is amazing the beautiful art that can be created with stitches, both knit and crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't knit but I have always wanted to learn it and I have also collected a few patterns. All your crochet works look awesome!

    ReplyDelete