Pages

Monday 12 December 2016

Red it is.

Do you have a colour that you never feel comfortable using!  For me it is red, I buy red wool or cotton  in tending it for a project and when I come to use it I hate it and choose another colour.  I think I have this feeling about red all my life, I can remember having a tantrum when I was about 8 when my mother wanted me to wear a red dress, I hated it shouting at her that she always dressed me in red and I hated red.   The weird thing was that whenever I wore red everyone would comment and say I looked pretty in it and how red suited me.

I must be mellowing in my old age!  For today I have a red top on and this week red has featured in my crochet in a big way.


First, a sweet little doily from the November doily Cal from the Our Happy Cal Place group on Ravelry.  The doily is Snowflake Doily and Coasters by Binita Majhi.


The variegated red and green cotton was sent to me from Bettina, a Spanish swap partner, she also sent me some other lovely cotton that we can’t get here in NZ.  Lots of coloured doilies coming up.

The second red doily is the December doily Cal from the same group above. I thought it would be good as a Christmas doily.  It is the Starshine Doily by Katherine White.



The third project is not finished yet; it is a doily for a friend who has been hinting to me ever since I took up crochet 2 years ago that she would like a red and black doily for her coffer table.  She has stopped hinting, so imagine her surprise when she opens her gift on Christmas day!


In between this all I have finished my Around the Bases afghan, got to do the ends, when will I learn to do them as I go, lol.  I will post pictures next week.

Finally, here is some more red from my succulent collection.


Have a lovely week and thanks for visiting.

Sharon.


14 comments:

  1. Oh yes, lovely, lovely doilies. Love them, and I think it's great that you chose red for them as it's obvious that you 'were' uncomfortable with that colour, but trying to overcome your aversion to red is definitely the way to go.... because they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your doilies are so beautiful and inspiring me to start crocheting some of my own. I feel about orange like you do about red, but my sister gave me an orange top and whenever I wear it I get many compliments. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely creations !!!!!
    Love touch of red in cloth or in kitchen ;)
    Have a great week !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty doilies. I think the red is the perfect accent to them. I was taught that red is considered a neutral color and can go with any other color. It makes the perfect color to add pop to a monochrome room. Embrace the red.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty doilies. I think the red is the perfect accent to them. I was taught that red is considered a neutral color and can go with any other color. It makes the perfect color to add pop to a monochrome room. Embrace the red.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely doilies! I think the first one is my fave. For me, I hate yellow... maybe because Mom painted the entire kitchen yellow in my childhood home. Yellow walls, yellow ceiling, yellow cupboards inside and out. Agh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before starting reading I saw the first picture and I thought, "I've seen that doily before!" And then I read and remembered - "Oh yes! This is a CAL I bought yarn for and never did!" Ah well... my yarn is wintery (as opposed to Christmas-y) so I can still do it in January and all will be well. I love how yours turned out! And the red and green doily is beautiful, too! And your friend is going to be pleasantly surprised with her red and black doily. I don't know that I'm a "red person" either, but I do love seeing it worked up - especially in surprising ways. To me, red doilies are kind of surprising. In a good way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH, what gorgeous holiday doilies! I may have to join that group....after the holidays! LOL! Your friend will surely be delighted when she gets her "custom" doilie. I feel your pain with all the ends....I did that once with not weaving in ends as I went and never again although it is a great project for watching t.v.....lol! Good luck and God speed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. About colors...I've finally discovered that I love certain colors but can't wear them or at least next to my face. Other colors I like in small doses etc. or for decorating but not wearing. That may be the case with your Red...you just need to figure out where it fits into your life. Great thought provoking question!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your christmas doilies are gorgeous...you have done it neatly eventhough you hate red.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous doilies? I love them. Good luck with all your ends!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What gorgeous doilies? I love them. Good luck with all your ends!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super doilies! ♥ Perfect for Christmas time and I'm sure your friend will be very happy about that surprise. About the color thing, I have this about blue. For some time in my early youth dark blue was my favorite color, but all the rest of my life I didn't like blue in general. Also today I have difficulties with this color, especially royal blue (a problematic person had such a car decades ago), but here and there I try to do something against it and I like light blue for example. Black is the second color that is not my cup of tea, but I had times where I liked it very much so maybe it's just temporarily ;-). Have a colorful day! Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice doilies
    happy day Crissi

    ReplyDelete