Pages

Friday 7 June 2013

Whimsy



This week has been quite productive after some weeks of enforced rest.  I decided to take part in the Icad (Index card a day) challenge and will part in the Summer of Color.  I hoped that it would help me refocus my art.  It certainly has.  I get up already planning my index card for the day and I have decided on my theme of SOC.



I am illustrating a poem for Icad (See my post on that tomorrow.)  I am using some of the prompts, but only so far as it suites my goals.

Yesterday, I finally settled on a theme, it ties in with, my work for icad, whimsy ladies and text from the poem I am illustrating.   I had brought some 8in x 10in canvas panels ready for SOC challenge.  Today I got started and started to paint in acrylic, using my first index card for inspiration.  It was fun.

close up




The words are from a poem I discovered earlier this week and it really spoke to me.

Inside each of us
there awaits a wonder
full
spirit of freedom

she waits
to dance
in the rooms
of our heart
that are closed
dark and cluttered

she waits
to dance
in the spaces
where negative feelings
have build barricades
and stock-piled weapons

she waits
to dance
in the corners
where we still
do not believe in our goodness

inside each of us
there awaits
a wonder
full
spirit of freedom

she will lift light feet
and make glad songs
within us
on the day we open our door of ego
and let the enemies stomp out

by Joyce Rupp, from The Stair in my heart

One drawback of painting so small was that I had heaps of paint left over, as usual I had squeezed out too much, so I decided to finger paint over an old drawing in my journal.  That was fun and very messy. 



Have a great week everybody.

Linking to Paint Party Friday
and
Art Journal Everyday
 





23 comments:

  1. I love the 1st image!! Tons of color and fun shapes, it is awesome! "She waits" is fantastic too! Xo)
    happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful words and paintings, dear Sharon. Great Job!
    Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those indexcards look great! and you're right:it's a wonderful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful art and inspiring word. I love what you are doing here Sharon. A great theme to work on:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful art, so free and expressive! Lovely brush work! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great, Sharon!
    Wonderful color combinations!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic work, I love these faces. Glad you are better. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely poem and paintings Sharon! I'm doing ICAD too! Such fun in a tiny format. HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharon, your SOC and your poem work well together. I love your index cards. The colors truly do remind me of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your poem and your images, just wonderful. HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are amazing and topped off with an incredible poem. Beautiful post! Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  12. so much wonderful, colorful art here!! Love that poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely work this week! Beautiful poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sharon, I love the style of your paintings! They are all beautiful.
    The poem is wonderful too.
    I am glad, you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the poem - there is a lot one can paint to it, and I see that you got to a great start. Creative way to get rid of your leftover paint, like the finger painting, it looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ICAD is great to get the creative juices flowing... and the poem is cool.. I am looking forward to seeing your SOC work as well... going to be a great coupe of months to brighten up our chilly weather... I really love that finger painted piece ...xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hiya, Sharon! Such lovely artwork you have to share this week. I love the idea of finger painting over an old drawing. The effect is lovely and it seems like a fun thing to do. Thank you for sharing the poem as well. It really spoke to my heart. Have a wonderful weekend! Happy PPF! -janice

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how you have inspired me...I was so excited about icad, prepped piles of cards and then got frustrated....Maybe i'll give it a shot again!! Thank you these are gorgeous!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the finger painting and your other pieces as well! SOC sounds fun and I plan to join in this year too. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Sharon, your cards are great, full of color and jazz! They have such spirit. That poem is so lovely, thanks for sharing with us, I always love visiting you here, take care and happy creating to you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a great poem and I love your paintings this week - the colours are gorgeous. I like that you didn't just waste the extra paint but did a wonderful finger painting with it instead!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you're back into the swing of art, and it certainly shows with the joy in your work. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete