I really struggled with this face; I started it last week with the intention of posting it for Valentine’s Day. But I got stuck and messed up the background. Yesterday, when tidying up my work desk I found it buried under a pile of paper. I really liked how the face and rose had turned out, so taking courage into my hands I got my paints out and mixed up a lot of watery paint, I started to flick and dribble paint. It was nearly right, but the background and girl were like two different works. So holding my breath I got out my white acrylic and flicked and dribbled paint over the girl. It worked! Phew!
The moral of this is that never give up on a painting, there is always a part of it that works. Even if you have to cut that bit out and collage it to another work, you will be able to save it in some way. I think this has turned out way better than my original composition, which was a bit smoultzy! The background was a sunset!