Pages

Sunday 7 April 2013

Imagination Runs Away



For Sunday Sketches this week I am showing you something from my sketchbook that has a glimmer of an idea for a children’s adventure story.


This is a sketch of an old plastics factory that is being pulled down in town.  My neighbour was upset when she told me last week, as she had spent 34 years of her working life here. I had always been fascinated with it as the chute thingy and tower always caught my eye.  When she was telling me I remembered I had done a sketch of it (above) a couple of years ago.

Looking at the sketch I decided to redo it in colour for her.  However, my imagination got the better of me, and it turned into a possible scene for a children’s story that has been floating about in my head.  As you guessed it is at night and the hero and heroine are looking for a friend that has disappeared.


Then I could not help it my imagination really got to work.  The building became something from your worst nightmare, it was alive!  I think I might even have some time travel in it too!

Anyways, I think I will do a sedate watercolour for my neighbour, as I don’t she will appreciate my imagination!

Changing the subject here is another photo I have jazzed up for the photo book I am doing for my Mum (who has severe Alzheimer’s) and family when I visit 


them in Australia later in the year.  It is of her wedding day and her 21st birthday.  The two ladies with her were my grandmothers, two very, very special ladies in my life.  I am using Blurb to do the book and I must say it is great for photo books, but is a bit tricky if you are trying to input a lot of text.

Have a great Sunday and creative week.

18 comments:

  1. Sharon you are such a versatile artist ~ love the artwork and so loving what you are doing for you Mom ~ lots of hugs to you ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the evolution of this piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon, love the factory sketches. I remember there was a big outcry when they wanted pull Battersea Power Station down...in the end they turned it into an Art Gallery, visited by millions every year now...
    Sorry to hear about your Mum...dreadful illness, my MIL had it. Love the memory book your doing for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the factory and your creative imagination. I think it would make a great children's book. And what a lovely gift for your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing what evolved from your original sketch and your wonderful imagination! Loved the photo of your Mom in her elegant wedding gown. A real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes this would look so good in a childrens book. I totally love these drawings :)
    ManonX

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are wonderful drawings, and you mom's photo - looks like my late mother's wedding, too!
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fab sketch! You really captured the scary mysterious essence of an abandoned factory there. Reminds me, recently we had a situation here where a legendary abandoned ice house (turned squat for the homeless) was torn down after some dude was murdered. http://www.mountainx.com/article/48408/Ice-House-demolition-in-progress Husband and I were sort of sorry bc we liked to go take photos and we became friendly with some of the 'residents' and wonder what might have happened to them. It had AMAZING graffitti

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great drawings, fun and imaginative! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful inspired sketch! and your mom looked beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay I LOVE LOVE your factory...so cool all versions are charming to me! Sweet photo of your Mom she is beautiful!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. wowness..fabulous art..such power and presence..and LOVE the family photo...so beautifu, special and very touching!!
    Victoria
    Happy SS

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with Tam! This is such a great concept - and I love how you returned to your earlier sketch and that it morphed with the ideas in your head for a children's story. You are so clever! Beautiful job, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the fun, creative journey of your sketches. Reminds me a little of Dr. Seuss scene. Hee :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your sketches are wonderful, Sharon! Just oozing with creativity! Love the idea of making a photo book for your mom. I know it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful picture of your mum. Love the factory sketches, great concept!!

    ReplyDelete