Pages

Wednesday 23 January 2013

Bright and Cheerful



The prompt for this week at The Artist’s Playroom is lots of colour to cheer up the Northern Hemisphere’s dreadful winter.  That suits me as I am a colour junkie, well I thought I was.  However when I looked at the posts I have been putting up lately, I am not so sure, there is a heck of lot of blue creeping into my work!  Maybe it is the blue skies every day!

The above is a design that I am working on for a greeting card.  I’ve used watercolour pencils on hot pressed card.  I am not sure about the dimensions, think I need to lengthen it a bit, A work in progress!

Now for a bit of fun, because the above was quite fiddly to do, I needed to loosen up.  One of my fave ways is to use leftover card and play around with water colours, gouache and chalk pastels.  I usually mess around with the paint and then make squiggles with the pastels.  I love the way wet colours merge together with sometimes surprising results.

 The first one is only 3 in x 4 in, I thought I could see a face so drew it in with pastel.


The second one is actually A4. As I had a piece of card left over from some card that I was painting with gesso for my experiments with water soluble oil paints later in the week…

I used gouache for this one as I wanted the paint to be bold and the squiggles not so dominant.  Also, I waited for the paint to dry, whereas in the first one I used the pastel on wet paint.



Have fun everyone, and Jen I hope your flu get better quickly.

Linking with The Artist’s Playroom at Just Add Water Silly



7 comments:

  1. just good fun all the way round, Sharon!! love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the colour in the swan art. I think it'll make a terrific card, how about making it square?? Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did with the bright colors! My favourite is the picture with the colorful cups! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your playful and colorful cards. The swan is really gorgeous. I have never tried the pastel on a wet surface, except in black and white for a figure workshop. Humm, pastels are so expensive, I wonder if I dare use my Dakotas or Senneliers to melt in water!! Thank you Sharon for your comments on my blog about Green Chic. It had been a while since I had painted from life, and it really makes a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from the APR - What a fabulous use of colour! So bright & vibrant. I bet it made Jenn feel so much better :0) Mo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way the water and sky blend in your dreamlike water fowl design. It's going to make a stunning greeting card. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaah, lots of fun here! I especially like your background/border contrast on the first piece.

    ReplyDelete